Even though I haven’t had many sugar cravings during the 100 Days of Real Food‘s 10 Day Pledge. This weekend, I was craving chocolate. So, I whipped up a batch of Dark Chocolate Whole Wheat Brownies from this recipe. I followed the recipe almost exactly but substituted butter for the coconut oil. They were awesome! Honestly, I think they were better than regular brownies. With regular full sugar, white flour brownies I can eat six without being satisfied. With these, I am satisfied with eating only one!
Dark Chocolate Whole Wheat Brownies
You will need:
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used hazelnuts)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9X9 inch square baking dish.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl including the flour, cocoa and baking powder and set aside.
- Melt the butter and stir in the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Add the egg and keep whisking until it’s mixed together thoroughly. If using nuts fold them into the batter with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 16 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Eat or store in an air-tight container at room temperature – enjoy!